Saturday, March 08, 2008

what you don't see of my life

It's snowing. Again. I'm in a happy, contemplative, sentimental mood right now. I worked 10 hours today and enjoyed almost every minute of it. Sometimes I wish my friends and family could see me at my job, without me knowing they were observing so I wouldn't put on any airs because I knew they were watching me. I work in a place where:

6 year olds style my hair.
"My handsome man" is 3 years old.
Donuts are the best treat in the world.
My dance moves are worth copying...
A goofy face makes a 5 year old laugh outright making me smile.
KETCHUP IS A FOOD GROUP!!!
New rules are invented for classic games to make it more....convenient.
TV is vital.
And....they think I'm one of the best people walking the planet.

You know how that makes me feel? Pretty much incredible. I don't do much and they love me to bits, count down the literal hours til I'm going to babysit them again. Tell their parents every day for a week before I'm coming to guess whose coming over in *x* days, hug me frequently and want to sit with me or wrap themselves around my legs while I try to walk. (An art, I am perfecting.:P) I love my job, and these days, I am actually loving it. Not just because I love children and I want to make some money. They're children created in the image of God with amazing personalities and talents and love to give and pining for encouragement, affirmation in return, and it is only my greatest honor to love them. I can't really even explain it. You have to be in it to understand it entirely I think. One of my baby girls is leaving next week....her mom has decided to saty home (good for her!) but my heart has cracked a little, because she's leaving. And I don't babysit her.....these children, they become such a big part of your life when you let them, or at least that's what's happened to me. I'm going to miss my Av'es like crazy. Sigh. I can't wait to be a mom..or maybe even before that (if this is the Lord's plan) running my own day care or working at a day care centre.


I have been so blessed through loving children. I have 8 families I babysit for. All referred by word of mouth from one mom (who is also my employer). Today I was told by a mom of a family I don't 'sit for often that I'm the only person who isn't family she would ever consider leaving her kids with. A few weeks ago I began 'sitting for a new family and I was the first babysitter (besides family) who had come. They interviewed me quite intensely (school, family, boyfriend etc.) and I went over for the third time this week and the youngest boy came running at me yelling my name when I walked in the door and his mom goes "someone loves you". Yeah, someone does love me. A lot of someone's mostly under the height of 4 feet. I am blessed indeed.

Oh yes, my name. I love this.

Kathleen.
KathAleen
KathELleen
Kafleen
Kafeen
Kafaleen
Kattleen
KaFThleen
KatTAleen
Kappy.
Her
She
You
*Points*


Yeah, there are probably more variations too. It has made me appreciate my name more, instead of just "owning" it.

I am professional at making:

Kraft Dinner
Grilled Cheese
Chicken Nuggets&Fries
Scrambled Eggs
Pasta W/ Sauce&Meatballs
Popcorn
Cookies

I am a certified milk pourer. This is absolutely neccessary in this position. Just ask Judy, I am pro at this. I can pour like 3 cups in 10 seconds.:P

I am trained in carrying on 3 conversations at one time. "You want some milk, what do you say?.....No, you can't have that till after you're done eating....COME AND SIT DOWN !"

I am an expert at changing diapers. Yes, indeed. The least favourite part. I can do it all!

I have record times in getting potty training children to the washroom.

I am fast, developing eyes in the back of my head. My own children better watch out.:P

I can have 6 kids fully dressed for the outdoors in their winter gear in a record of...15 minutes. Trust me , that's good.

My job is never too predictable. Never.
I love it.

1 comment:

Bekah Smith said...

If you do ever start a day care...I'm going to apply.
:-D
And even though I love taking care of and becoming friends with children, I still wish I was little too...I haven't decided which is better...being a child, or getting them to listen to you.

Does that make sense?