Saturday, January 26, 2008

Keith

No, the title is not metaphorical. It does not have hidden meaning, it isn't a word to describe something other than the first "thing"...uhm person... that comes to mind. It is exactly how you read it, not a might different.



I wasn't going to do this when I first thought of it, because you know, I might get complaints of being really personal, or misunderstanding or maybe even people who get really big heads because if it..cough...



I think I've done this once before for another person and it was incredible fun to do and write about that person. I find it incredibly pleasureable to write about how much I like other people. I love to brag about others, I really do. It's like I want to the world to know how amazing the people I have in my life are. And I also don't feel so guilty bragging about other people.



Now, I don't think I'm going to brag right now...it's more like I'm going to make statements that if you care to contradict, I won't accept it.



First I must set the scene. Most of you know this person, if you don't I'm extremely sorry, (actually not, it's too bad you don't, really...)but you can stop reading if you care to, but I sense that you are probably hooked by what I have to say now and even if you didn't know this guy existed til this moment, you'll probably keep reading.



Excellent. I don't think I need a disclaimer...I'm pretty sure I'm safe..ish. lol.



Finally onto the main content of this post. (I'm really enjoying this lead-up by the way.)



Friday evening, I, with my parents and sister accompanied Keith and his parents downtown Toronto to the Entertainment District to the NFB (National Fim Board) Building to watch the screening of Panic In A Box.



Let's just say I didn't think about what I was doing until I was walking into the building and we had to pass a security guard and Keith goes up to the desk and is all like "I'm Keith Brink, director of Panic In A Box" and the guy is like "up the stairs, you're tickets are waiting". And I just stopped for a moment and thought to myself, what am I doing? I'm just blindly following Keith around? Okay, so I knew where I was going, but I didn't know WHERE I was going. and I knew what I was going to, but I didn't know WHAT I was going to, you know? And then I thought, wow, I guess I trust him a lot. I can always tell I trust someone when I go through something like that. Like around 5 minutes before "whatever" happens, I suddenly come up short and am like ,wait a second....what am I doing? And then it kinda just hits me and I shrug and go oh well, this is fun and adventurous, because I love adventures. So that aside I can move on.



We go up these extremely narrow stairs and pass by a lot of incredible photographs, it reminded me of Brittni. And we walk up to this little unofficial desk and Keith does his speech again. (You know, the "I'm Keith Brink....") and so he get's his 2 tickets. and then the rest of us get our tickets and we stand around and look at photographs and Keith is being really cute and funny and looking slightly anxious, but extremely excited. And then we decide to go in the theater. So we walk in and immediately we're like, uhmmm, okay, this won't really work. There was maybe twenty rows of eight chairs across and they were almost all full, save for a couple here and there. So then Keith in his official director state and everything goes to get more chairs and it turns out Mr and Mrs. Brink sit in the back row. My parents sit in the third row and Rachie, Keith and I sit in the front row. Yes, the front. Slightly daunting, but at least Mr.Keith Brink, director of Panic In A Box could not be missed easily.



The format was, watch 4 shorts, then the moderator, Micheal Kennnedy ( a director with a fairly large accomplisment list) got up and led the audience in a commentary which was recorded. Then we watched 5 more shorts (which Panic In A Box was a part of) and we did the commentary thing over again. Let's just say PIAB was up against some pretty high budget films...one even being sponsered by the National Film Board! But here's the thing...people loved Panic In A Box. After it was shown during the wait time between films there was this buzz that wasn't there at other times at all. And Keith received some excellent comments from the audience as well as Mr. Kennedy. As I sat there beside him listening to these people, and him responding to questions, like "how old are you?" I realized how dang proud of Keith I was...and am and looking at him I was seeing him differently, not just as one of my best friends who I do crazy stuff with and be jerkish sometimes, but this guy who has crazy potential for things beyond anything I can imagine, considering I don't know a lot in that field. Like one guy said, "If he's dong what he's doing now, he has a lot of potential to improve and do amazing things in film." (or something along those lines). It's true.

So yes, that's my bragging for the time being. I love being proud of people.

And now... Keith, thanks for being my friend and for caring and loving me and admitting sometimes you're a jerk....and not leaving. Go do amazing things.

(If that's too mushy for any of you, get over it. Now.)

Isn't this perfect too? Today is 2 years since I met Keith and reconnected with Kathleen. We certainly know how to pack the time don't we? I love you.

In fact, I love you.

I'll figure some part of life out one day.:P


PS. Fineeeee, a disclaimer, since my conscience is pricked: Nobody shoot me, please.:P

6 comments:

Keith Brink said...

Thanks Kathleen. I love you too :P.

Anonymous said...

i think it's pretty cool that kieth is one of the craziest people i know, but he's also incredibly solid.
i love kieth too

and...its cool that amazing pictures remind you of me. i hope someday i can take amazing ones, and then they will remind you of me, cause i actually took them!

"kieth brink, director of panic in a box"

how'd we start growing up so fast?
i'm pretty proud too.

kathleen dunn said...

thanks for sharing that.
it made me really proud of keith.:)

WAS THAT MY NAME IN THERE.
OMGSH!
ahaha
or it coould have been you.
i never know,
thisis so confusing.
hahaha love you alot alot alot.

Kathleen said...

Kathleen...Yes, that was your name.:P<3

Carol-Lee Joy said...

yup, keith's pretty much amazing.

Keith Brink said...

Alright, alright, I may be doing some cool stuff, but let's not get too excited shall we....on second thought: why not? Three cheers for life.