I see you sitting there on your front porch.
You haven't noticed that I'm watching you.
You turn your head, but you don't see me.
You're probably lost in your fantasies.
The thing that I don't get is that you fail to see,
How beautiful you are, inside and out.
It's your internal beauty that I fell in love with.
But I love to look at your external beauty.
Beauty is only in the eye of the beholder.
Maybe not everybody would see how beautiful you are.
But I believe you're a beautiful person.
I shake out of my thoughts as I suddenly catch your eye.
As I watch, you stand up and run down the steps.
It takes me a moment before I realize.
You're headed for me.
I smile at you as you walk toward me.
You sit down beside me and turn to look at me
And as innocent as anything you ask me this question:
"Do you think I'm beautiful?"
You're looking at me, almost nervously.
I wonder yet again, how can you not see?
Carefully, slowly I begin to speak.
I tell you that you're beautiful
I tell you that you're sweet.
I tell you that you mean the world to me, and many others.
You begin to cry and the tears flood down your cheeks.
As you open up your heart and reveal to me.
You're questioning your self worth.
I stare at you in silence, and then I begin to cry
I throw my arms around you.
Praying that you'll hear me
As I tell you all the things.
That I love and cherish about you.
We sit there on my front steps for hours.
Talking about everything.
Not noticing that the sun is setting.
Not noticing anything at all.
And then we hear your mother call.
And we are forced back into the world.
You slowly get up and looking at me, you say.
"What would I do without you?"
I smile at you and jump up and hug you again.
Then I send you off down the street with the promise to call.
As I watch you walk back down the street.
I can't help but think how beautiful you are, inside and out.
Just before you walk inside, you turn and yell.
"I love you friend"
And I yell back:
"I love you too"
I sink back onto the porch.
Thinking about all that's taken place.
I always thought that you were the strong one.
But today I realize I am strong.
And I also realize that you have helped me
Realize that I too, am beautiful.
Inside and out.
And the sun sets with my realization.
No comments:
Post a Comment