Well, it's been a week since I last blogged. (sorry to the people who have been anxiously waiting for my next post :-P). This past week was crazy busy, but it was the best ever. This past week we performed the co-op play for this year, "Departure's and Arrivals". It is the most random, but amazing play ever. It takes place in an airport and all the scenes are little scenerios between different characters. I had so much fun with this play. It was seriously a lot of fun. All the people in it were amazing, we are a talented bunch of people, I have to say! And the set that Jordan built really helped a lot too, it helped the play to come alive! I'm going to say it again, because I really mean it, everybody was great!!!! Awesome bunch of people these people are in Drama!
The rush, the adrenaline,the craziness, the excitement, the HEAT!! :-) (it was really hot on Tuesday and moderate on Thursday.) It was an experience that I will remember for a long time to come.
Imagine for a moment, you are standing or sitting behind a solid black curtain. It is 34 degrees celcius outside, plus humidity. You are wearing 2 or 3, maybe even 4 layers of clothing, and you are surronded by at least 5 people , maybe more, and people keep passing you. and pushing past you to get out on stage. It's pretty dark except for this blue string of lights that is pretty dull, but at least helps you to see. You are talking in stage (haha) whispers about many different things, subjects definetely not related to Drama :-P. And you are sweating like it's going out of style. ( I rather wish it were! :-)). There is a single stand up fan in the corner, that smart people have sat directly in front of. Alright, you can stop imagining now. That is basically what it was like behind the scenes. Maybe a little different, but anyways.
Oh yes, "the staircase". The staircase was the link between the beautifully cool basement and the stage. 5 ( I believe) flights of steps up. The steps were quite narrow and you felt like you were in the wall, actually we might have been. lol. The higher you climbed, the hotter it got until you got to this tiny,and I do mean TINY landing that led out to the stage. Okay so imagine again.
You have 30 seconds and you have to change costume. Everybody's clothes and shoes are everywhere, all over the stairs and the landings. You have to get one outfit on and the other off in record time and be out of stage looking presentable. You (very) hurriedly pull on pants\skirts and throw on shirts , grab shoes and props, duck under a whole bunch of people doing the exact same thing as you and hurry out onto the stage, not letting the audience see how rushed you feel and how hot you feel too.
Sometimes it felt like everything was falling apart and then all of a sudden things would look better. There were a couple times I wished I could crawl into the corner and sleep or go someplace where it was air conditioned. A bucket of water over the head would have been nice too. :-P
We worked together pretty well. Example: In one of my scenes I had to use a walker. (tip- walkers are not the best props in the world. :-P)It was a couple flights of stairs down so while I was hurrying to get into my costume, several people had to bring it up. Over heads, around people, til, finally it was upstairs ready for me to use. I didn't have to worry about it at all, people, my friends, my fellow cast members took care of me. I'm not sure exacxtly why that fact is so important to me, but it really is. Working together, supporting eachother. It's a wonderful thing when people work together.
It all goes too quickly. Months of planning and practicing and pain and anguish (:-P) on Rosie and Bekah's parts, well us too but more so them. Oh yes by the way Bekah and Rosie are awesome, they are so patient and kind and they still love us (apparently) after all if this. It all goes so fast, before you know it you are standing on the edge of the stage with your fellow cast members and you are bowing to a cheering audience. The relief that it is over washes over you, but also a twinge of dissapointment, because this is the end. The end of this adventure shared together, the end a another chapter, the end of the play. You arrrived 5 months ago ready for anything and now it is time to depart. That is our life.
I have been thinking about this departing and arriving thing, and it really is our life. "Our life is a question of arrivals and departure's, of going through gateways." We arrive through gateways, we depart through gateways. Our lives are made up of gateways, that eventually we have to go through. Some gateways are filled with happiness and joy and laughter, but there are also gateways filled with pain and hurt and frustation and tears. Our lives are merely a series of arrivals and departures,of going through gateways.
Well that sums up Drama 2006. Not really, but if I wrote everything I wanted to, I would be blogging for an extremely long time!!! :-)
Thanks to everybody in Drama this term :
Amanda,Becky,Bradley,Brittni,Dave,Elysha,Jess,Jolisa,Jordan,Josh,Kathleen,Kathleen,Keith,Mike, Rachel,Ray,Ryan,Sarah,Sharlene,Stefan and last but certainly not least, our awesome directors: Bekah and Rosie!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-)
It was a amazing experience doing the play with all of them (you). As I said before, we are a bunch of talented people! Thanks guys!!! :-)
Love,
Kathleen
3 comments:
hehehehe glad to act with you! I do agree about the immense heat though.
lol did you thank yourself there? that's funny lol
I guess I did thank myself lol..oh well.. that is funny.My laugh for the night.
Post a Comment