When I was four years old, my best guy friend at the time, (who will go unnamed:D) proposed to me. We were in a vehicle sitting beside each other on the bench seat and he turned to me and smiling his sweet smile, he said "Kathleen, one day, we're going to get married". My response? "Okay!" I smiled matter of factly. I remember it clear as day and every once in a while think about it. Young children are so accepting of life. Their love is pure and unconditional. I think that when we sing and talk about being like a child, we should pay more attention. These days young children are talked about as annoying and in the way and a hassle. I think that we should be observing these young lives more closely and maybe learning a thing or two. Working in a daycare has taught me so much. Not just trivial things, but lessons that we need to learn, sometimes over and over again. I've been taught about love, and acceptence. Care and concern. Discipline and instruction. There's so much that I'm learning in a simple activity of teaching some children colours and numbers. I wouldn't trade this for anything. Their love is incredible and we all need that child love and to give that child love. It's crucial. It's the same as faith. Child like faith, daunting, yet when God calls, neccessary.
Oh...I'm sure you're wondering about my friend and I. Well, life has obviously passed and we barely see each other anymore unfortunately. I miss him every so often, usually around the time I remember the proposal. He's changed, I've changed. I don't even know if he remember's that. If he did, he'd go bright red and look away until he saw my smile and then he'd grin and we'd see the young friend in each other for just a moment. Our personalities were and still are so different. Compared to him I'm very outgoing, while he's shy. Way back when, during the days of Sunday School. He wouldn't go unless "his best friend Kathleen" was there. At the time, I just felt like it was my "call" in life to make sure he was comfortable and happy, now I look back on that and smile. We were completely opposite two peas in a pod and I loved him. I still love him...who wouldn't love someone after 15 years of knowing eachother. I highly doubt I'll marry him though. Wow, thinking about that, it would be quite amusing. Although....when we played house and did the nativity story he was always Dad or Joseph and I was Mom or Mary. We fit the descriptions perfectly according to our siblings.:P Gotta love children. I do.
love you,
Kathleen
Dedicated to "you" my friend who won't read this, but thank you for teaching my about love and friends from a very early age.
1 comment:
good story. good times. i love stories of people's childhood days. they're the best. sweet innocence and enjoyment of everything in life must be nice. without all the complications that arise as you grow up and start looking around you, beyond your own little world.
i think i need to take to heart your call to look a little closer and children and learn a few things from them. like not really caring that much what other people think of you. at least, not as much as teenagers and young adults do. having simple belief and trust in God. not really thinking bad of other people.
Post a Comment