Alright, so I stumbled upon this on a christian website tonight. (No I was not researching Katy Perry!) You know that girl that apparently likes getting drunk and kissing girls? Well 7 years ago on October 23rd 2001, at age 16, she released her first album- into the Christian market, under the name "Katy Hudson". (Her birth name). It was self-titled. She wrote most of the lyrics for the album herself and she was forseen as the next big thing. Little did the Christian music industry critics know she would be the next big thing...in 7 years time, at the very top of the "secular" music charts. As her second single from "One of the Boys" climbs higher you wonder what she's thinking these days. She blames it on her "strict" parents who wouldn't let her listen to "secular" music as a child. Her first introduction to "secular" music was a sleepover with some girlfriends. She says that back then (in 2001) when she made the album she was a good girl and then got tired of it all and by 2004 she was rocking to a different beat. (not precisely her words). Her dad is apparently a pastor and neither him nor his wife really support he latest endeavours. So, out of curiosity I googled "Katy Hudson" and what I found both surprised and saddened me. Not going to lie, I kind of like Katy's voice and to hear her singing some pretty decent "christian" material is pretty cool and weird at the same time...'cause it's the same voice that sings "I kissed a girl and I liked it...". Some of her "Christian" lyrics are worth thinking over. It's traditionally typical Christian, with no content to complain about. I suppose this is a good example of someone who has been two people. The crazy thing is...she's known Him, and that knowledge has got to be in the depths of her heart somewhere and therefore I'm not looking at Katy Perry the same anymore. I do not support her current career path, but she could go running back to the One who she sang so confidently about 7 years ago. It's more than possible.
I've pasted lyrics from her song "Faith Won't Fail" below. (Ironic really.)
VERSE 1 You could throw me in the fire And I won't be burned For my faith is Your desire And Your love endures You could throw me in the prison cell Shackle me up against the rail But time and time again My faith won't fail CHORUS For He'll prevail In the midst of all my trials and tribulations And He'll prevail In the midst of all my sin and temptations He'll prevail When I fall and He will pick me up For time and time again my faith won't fail Time and time again my faith won't fail VERSE 2 You could cast me in the lion's den But they won't harm me For Your grace surrounds me And it sets me free And I can walk upon the water And I will not drown For my eyes are set upon You And no one can bring me down BRIDGE For His angels surround me And You've poured out this blood covering And I will walk and not fail For time and time again my faith won't fail Time and time again my faith won't fail
PS. This article was written strictly by me and all information and content was taken from various websites. My goal is not to "dis" Katy (Perry), but rather write about a shocking sort of situation and show how we can and will change. Also for interest and surprises sake. Because really...did you know Kary Perry used to be someone else?
1 comment:
her voice is very odd in the old stuff..but the lyrics are good.
Post a Comment